EUTF- TUUMA Appui à la compétence professionnelle, l’entreprenariat et l'emploi des jeunes et des femmes dans les régions rurales du Burkina Faso - Fonds CE
“TUUMA” is the word for “work” in Mossi, the most spoken language in Burkina Faso. The project aims at supporting the professional and entrepreneurial skills as well as improving the employment opportunities of women and youth in rural communities in Burkina Faso. It seeks to increase economic opportunities, as well as access to stable and permanent employment for women and youth, in order to contribute to the overall objective of the EU Trust Fund to address root causes of destabilisation, forced displacement and irregular migration by promoting economic and equal opportunities, security and development in the Sahel region and Lake Chad area.
The expected main results are:
- Improved economic opportunities and income of women and the youth in rural areas through income-generating activities and employment as well as the promotion of entrepreneurship (7.500 stable and permanent jobs created, 5.500 income-generating activities implemented)
- Strengthened resilience of the local, state and civil society actors as well as their ability strengthened to support the economic opportunities of women and youth
The direct beneficiaries are 13.000 women and young people aged 15-35 with an interest in economic activities and entrepreneurship. Furthermore, the private sector, collective enterprises driven particularly by co-operations, associations, groups of young producers and women, the local and regional authorities, as well as vocational training centres are amongst the direct beneficiaries.
Indirect beneficiaries are the people in the five intervention areas, as well as the administrative structures of the state.
The main activities will be:
- Introduction of a Development and Employment Fund to finance the promotion of employment and entrepreneurship in production, processing, distribution and marketing.
- Granting of subsidies for entrepreneurial activities and projects, and support of income-generating investment projects and rural enterprises.
- Support of women and young people who seek to develop and enhance their economic activities and opportunities.
- Creation of infrastructure for the support of entrepreneurship and improvement of the market access of rural small and micro-enterprises.
- Support of training opportunities and skills trainings for women and youth in rural micro-businesses.
- Capacity development of civil society organisations and local authorities and actors.
The project will cover the five intervention regions Cascades, Boucle du Mouhoun, Nord, Hauts Bassins, and Province of Soum in the Sahel region. The security situation in those areas bordering with crisis-shaken Mali remains particularly fragile, the outlook for neighbouring Mali being negative. The intervention zone is characterised by a young and steadily growing, and particularly vulnerable population regarding the possible impact of endogenous and exogenous shocks, natively influencing local economic dynamism and activity. The more, promotion of economic and where necessary equity based opportunities, security and development represent a central contribution to increased resilience, peace and stability in the area.
The project is co-funded by the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC) with EUR 2 mio (project reference number 6544-01/2017).