Projet d’Appui à la Crédibilité et à la Transparence des Elections au Burkina Faso (PACTE-BF)
The project contributes to the material organisation of credible, transparent and peaceful elections in 2015/16 (presidential, parliamentary and municipal) which will conclude the transition period in Burkina Faso and consolidate democratisation and stability. A stable environment is a precondition for the implementation of all development programmes. The Austrian Development Cooperation provides funding jointly with the European Union, Denmark, France, Germany and Luxemburg.
The project particularly aims at strengthening the capacities of the National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI) and other stakeholders such as political parties through technical and operational support. Beneficiaries of the project are CENI and the country’s entire voting population, estimated at 6 million.
- An operational election plan and other electoral documents are available.
- CENI’s and others stakeholders’ capacities to exercise leadership and manage electoral conflicts as well as increase synergies and mutual comprehension are strengthened. 495 stakeholders will be trained in Election leadership and conflict management.
- CENI remains credible throughout the electoral process through an appropriate institutional communication and has media monitoring skills
- Operational capacities are adequate (updated software, logistical optimisation and security, cost and time efficiency, ballot paper conception, updated training manuals)
- Permanent dialogue frameworks between CENI and political parties are established
- Part of the material required for the elections is procured on behalf of CENI. This includes equipment for the 19,000 polling stations for the various votes (presidential elections, parliamentary and municipals): 19,000 copies of the electoral law and manuals, 28,000 ballot boxes, 83,000 lamps, 456,000 seals for ballot boxes, 370,000 secured envelopes.
- An efficient, reliable and fast electronic results treatment system has been tested.