Unterstützung der Vorbereitungsphase, zentralamerikanisches Zentrum für Erneuerbare Energie und Energieeffizienz (MCREEE)
Assist the Central American Integration System (SICA) in the feasibility works and preparatory process for the Central American Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (MCREEE) and reach agreement on its establishment among the 8 Regional Member Countries.
• Finalized and validated needs assessment and feasibility study on MCREEE
• Finalized concept note and project document on the institutional set-up and technical program of the centre
• Successful and effective execution of two regional validation workshops on the needs assessment, feasibility study and project document of the centre
• International awareness on MCREEE and the sustainable energy issues in the Central American region raised
The following target groups will benefit from the preparatory phase on MCREEE directly or indirectly:
1. At least 80 energy policy makers of 8 SICA countries (e.g. ministries, provincial governments)
2. At least 16 national institutions of 8 SICA countries in charge of promoting sustainable energy and rural energy
3. At least 8 educational and training institutions (e.g. universities, training centres)
4. At least 8 national utilities and regulators with mandates for rural electrification in the SICA countries.
5. At least 16 energy manufacturing and service companies and/or associations representing 8 SICA countries (e.g. consulting, suppliers, equipment producers, installers, IPPs)
6. At least 16 civil society groups representing 8 SICA countries (e.g. sustainable energy advocacy groups, women groups)
7. Ultimately, the greater population of the Central American region, local industry and public institutions will benefit from increased access to modern, affordable and reliable energy services.
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and the General Secretariat of the Central American System Integration (SG-SICA), with financial support of the Austrian Development Agency (ADA), are assisting the Mesoamerican Countries (MACs) in the establishment of the Mesoamerican Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (MCREEE). The process is closely coordinated and part of the work plan of the Project Mesoamerica (PM). The technical center is expected to support the SICA Energy Unit in the implementation of regional sustainable energy commitments and the scaling-up of sustainable energy markets and industries. The barriers for the introduction and usage of RE&EE technologies and solutions can be addressed more effectively and at lower cost through regional approaches, tools and methodologies. The centre could complement and strengthen ongoing national activities in the areas of energy policy and planning, capacity development, knowledge management and policy advocacy and awareness raising, as well as investment and business promotion.