Water and Sanitation Sector Financing Uganda
The Joint Water and Environment Sector Support Programme (JWESSP) will be an integral part of the national sector framework for the Water and Environment Sector.
The objective of the JWESSP is to support the water and environment sector to achieve its targets and improve its efficiency.
JWESSP support will be in line with the goals and targets of the National Development Plan (NDP, 2010 – 2015) and will help Uganda to approach the water and sanitation Millennium Development Goals by providing access to safe water and increasing access to improved sanitation to at least 3.4 million Ugandans.
The JWESSP will strengthen the linkages water – food security (water for production), water – health (sanitation) and in particular water resources – environment management – ecosystem services – climate change.
Support will be provided through a combination of capacity development at all levels and support to physical implementation. It will support the implementation of national sector priorities and strategies as described in the relevant budget planning documents, work plans and sector investment plans. All support will be managed through national decision making structures, planning, budgeting, accounting and reporting systems.
There will be 8 programme components:
1. Sector Programme Support – SPS (including capacity development and support to NGO coordination)
2. Rural Water Supply and Sanitation – RWSS (mainly implemented through District Local Governments with technical support and monitoring by the centre)
3. Urban Water Supply and Sanitation – UWSS (small towns and rural growth centres)
4. Water for Production – WfP
5. Water Resources Management – WRM
6. Water Management Zones – WMZ (catchment-based integrated water resources management)
7. Environment and Natural Resources - ENR
8. Climate Change - CC
At present, total DP funding through harmonised JWESSP modalities is estimated to be UGX 531 billion (EUR 177 million) for the period 2013/14 to 2017/18.