Vienna Energy Forum 2017
The main purpose of the VEF 2017 is to facilitate a multi-sectorial, multi-stakeholders and inter-disciplinary dialogue on sustainable energy for inclusive development and productive capacities. The VEF 2017 theme will be Sustainable energy for the implementation of the SDGs and the Paris Agreement that would facilitate discussions and exchange of information on respective financial mechanisms, Nexus, Innovation, Sustainable Cities and other interrelated global challenges.
- Bring together over 1,500 participants from around the world (incl. ministers, high-level dignitaries, policymakers, experts and representatives from the private sector and civil society).
- To move the global energy agenda forward and to move from declarations of intention to tangible action on the ground.
- The recommendations are expected to translate into regional and country level energy strategies.
- A well-designed communications strategy is expected to raise awareness and visibility of the sustainable energy issues to be highlighted at the VEF, contributing to the overall global agenda to promote energy in the context of SDGs.
- The VEF 2017 findings will inform and enrich UNIDOs industrial energy efficiency and renewable and rural energy programs.
Potential beneficiaries of the VEF 2017 are going to be a diversified group, consisting of the representatives of the private sector, CSOs, national and international energy institutes, academia and research institutes, energy consultants, government practitioners, policy-makers.
- Provide a platform to discuss the current energy related challenges with world-renowned experts, high level policymakers and representatives of the private and public sector as well as civil society.
- Shift the debate on sustainable energy and inclusive development beyond generalities and identify specific courses of action.
- An action-oriented discussion, relevant to economic and financial obstacles faced by many countries at present to promote sustainable energy for all, SDGs and climate action.
- Initiate and advance regional and international co-operation in dedicated result-oriented working sessions.
The Vienna Energy Forum (VEF) is a biennial Forum, which is organized by UNIDO jointly with the Austrian Foreign Ministry (BMEIA), the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL), Austrian Development Agency (ADA) and the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management (BMLFUW). The 5th VEF will be organized at the Vienna International Center and Hofburg Congress Center from 9 to 12 May 2017.