In order to provide optimum services for our partner countries and Austria, integrity and professionalism are prerequisites. The comprehensive precautions of the Austrian Development Cooperation for preventing and combating corruption include the ADA Code of Conduct, anti-corruption clauses in ADA contracts and the ADA Whistleblowing System.
Under the ADA whistleblowing system, cases of suspicion regarding serious legal violations can be reported to the internal information point or to an external ombudsperson. ADA employees are obliged to make such reports.
ADA Whistleblowing system
Internal Information Point
The internal Integrity Officers, Katharina Windisch and Christa Schwarz, are bound to confidentiality and are not subject to directives for their activities as authorized Integrity Officers. They are available to answer questions about integrity in general and are competent for reports on cases of suspicion conduct in relation to the projects and business of the Austrian Development Agency in regard the following reporting categories:
- Corruption and related criminal offences (§§ 302-309 of the Criminal Code) (as defined by Transparency International (TI): "Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain or advantage"; e.g. abuse of office, bribery, venality. The relevant criminal law provisions are enshrined in §§ 302-309 of the Criminal Code).
- Criminal offences against property (e.g. misuse of grants, embezzlement, fraud, breach of trust).
- Public Procurement and funding (e.g. (e.g. collusion in award procedures, non-declared conflicts of interest)
- Criminal acts against sexual integrity and self-determination (e.g. sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment)
- Financial services, products and markets, and prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing
- Product safety and compliance, transport safety, protection of environmental, radiation protection and nuclear safety, food and feed safety, animal health and welfare, public health, consumer protection
- Protection of privacy and personal data and security of network and information systems
- EU competition and state aid law (e.g. unlawful agreements between companies, abuse of a dominant position, conduct prohibited under antitrust law and unlawful aid), EU internal market rules and corporate tax rules
- Infringements affecting the financial interests of the European Union
- Other serious violations of the law (including criminal acts sanctioned by the courts)
and attempted infringements in each of the above areas.
These reports should be primarily made via the electronic whistleblowing portal. The electronic whistleblower portal is available in German, English and French. It guides whistleblowers through the reporting process using an online form and allows secure communication using special encryption. Information may be provided anonymously through the electronic whistleblower portal.
Reports can also be made via phone, post or in person to the Integrity Officers. ADA employees can also contact their superiors, who will then forward the reports to the Integrity Officers. General requests concerning integrity (but not reports of cases of suspicion) can be made via E-Mail to email@example.com.
Contact information of the Integrity Officers:
Phone: +43 1 90399 - 2667
Address: Zelinkagasse 2, 1010 Vienna
As an alternative to the internal information point, it is possible to submit reports to the external Ombudsperson. The specialised law firm Paulitsch Rechtsanwalts GmbH has many years of relevant professional experience and is subject to the professional secrecy. The ombudsperson examines information independently and autonomously.
The ombudsperson will only forward the identity of the whistleblower to the ADA if the whistleblower has expressly agreed to this. This also applies to all other information from which the identity of the whistleblower can be derived directly or indirectly.
Information to the ombudsperson can be provided in German or English via an online form, e-mail, telephone, post or in person.
Contact information of the external ombudsperson:
Information on data processing in connection with the ADA Whistleblowing System is available here.
In addition, according to the Austrian Whistleblower Protection Act (Hinweisgeber*innenschutzgesetz, HSchG), certain violations of the law can also be reported to the Austrian Federal Bureau of Anti-Corruption (BAK).