BIRN (Balkan Investigative Reporting Network) - A Paper Trail to Better Governance III
The project is expected to contribute to a substantially reduced corruption and bribery in all their forms (SDG 16.5).
The Project contributes to a better functioning of the public sector that abides by the principles of transparency and accountability to its citizens (linked to SDG 16.6 and 16.10).
1. Increased skills of investigative and young journalists in the Western Balkans;
2. Exposed (including cross-border) wrongdoings of public institutions, public or private companies and individuals, through multimedia investigations;
3. General public informed on open government principles, and compliance of public institutions on Freedom of Information (FoI) laws;
4. BIRN’s Investigative Resource Desk (BIRD) platform upgraded and its tools accessible for free which stimulates cross border cooperation among journalists, civil society and technology experts for promoting open data governance.
Target group / Beneficiaries
Direct beneficiaries in project countries Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia are:
100 Men and women investigative journalists, 25 young journalists, 200 researchers, 10 media outlets, and the general public;
Indirect beneficiaries – 20 Public Institutions, 150 Journalists, 50 stakeholders, 4 Universities, 20 Media Outlets and the general public (at least 3 million people exposed to published material resulting from investigative reporting, monitoring of public institutions compliance with legislation and annual review reports published).
Main summarized project activities:
1) Journalistic trainings, including on gender equality, and internship for young journalists in BIRN offices;
2) Production of 25 investigations, interviews, analysis, news pieces, on cross-border and country-based issues, and video production
3) Production of Annual Regional Reviews on freedom of information
4) Upgrade and further develop the BIRN’s Investigative Resource Desk (BIRD).
On the basis of a previous successful cooperation and its diverse expertise, BIRN Kosovo and BIRN Hub (partner) have designed a cross-regional action which responds to the European Commission’s (EC’s) membership conditions, aiming to strengthen the rule of law, more accountable governance and judiciary in the Western Balkan (WB) region. The project will directly contribute to SDG targets 16, 6, and 16.10, through advocating for a better functioning of public sector that abides by the principles of transparency and accountability to its citizens.