Centre for the Protection and Rehabilitation of Women and Children in Gjilan/Gnjilane, Phase II
In the first project phase, Caritas Vienna together with the women's aid organisation "Liria" established the "Centre for the Protection and Rehabilitation of Women and Children" in Gjilan as a refuge for victims of domestic violence. The building in question was provided and rehabilitated free of charge by the municipality. All over the country, the project has enjoyed high reputation and visibility in institutions. It is a model project in Kosovo, particularly concerning the co-operation both between different ethnic groups as well as between municipalities and NGOs. Apart from the women centre in Gjilan which is the only one in Eastern Kosovo, four other women shelters exist in Western Kosovo.
Project goal is the continuation of the project and increase of its sustainability.
* to provide accommodation in an emergency shelter for women and children in need
* to continue social and legal special counselling
* training of women - qualification for the labour market ("counselling for mobilisation"), increased co-operation with the local job centre
* know-how transfer (regionally from Albania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria) and technical support (perfection of computer skills, financial reporting)
* study-visit (Austria, region)
* intensified networking between women organisations in Kosovo, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia and Albania
* external evaluation
* continuation of reconciliation activities
* organising of workshops in rural areas with topics regarding the services of the Centre, women rights and health education.