Contribution to the Gavi COVAX AMC
The objective of the Gavi COVAX Advance Market Commitment (AMC) is to reduce the impact of COVID-19 in 92 low income and lower middle-income countries and economies (COVAX AMC Group) by accelerating the introduction and scale up of vaccines that protect against COVID-19; in short “Vaccine delivery in countries; target populations vaccinated”.
• Purchase of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines for the COVAX AMC Group, helping to ensure that the COVAX AMC Group will have access to Approved Vaccines in parallel with COVAX self-financing participants.
• Commitments of future vaccine procurement to increase the speed to production and scale of available vaccines once approved.
• Approximately 1.4 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses available for 2021, of which approximately 1.2 billion available for the COVAX AMC Group. This is equivalent to 20% population coverage or 40% of the adult population in all 92 AMC economies bar India. COVAX’s supply will continue to expand in the first quarter of 2022, reaching a total of 2.6 billion doses available for supply by the end of March
Target group / Beneficiaries
92 low income and lower middle-income economies based on 2018 and 2019 World Bank GNI data and World Bank IDA eligible economies are eligible for AMC support. They include the following ADC priority countries: Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Uganda, Bhutan, Moldova, West Bank and Gaza, Kosovo. The estimated number of beneficiaries is approximately 942 million. ADA’s indicative funding share will result in an estimated 565,200 beneficiaries (Presuming an indicative average fully loaded price of USD 5.20/dose and a 2-dose regimen).
• The Grant funds will be used to frontload the procurement of Approved Vaccine for the COVAX AMC Group by entering into Advance Purchase Commitments with individual vaccine manufacturers to guarantee the purchase of a pre-defined number of doses of COVID-19 vaccines from each manufacturer.
• The responsibilities of Gavi in relation to the AMC will be among others:
- select the most promising vaccine candidates for Advance Purchase Commitments with input from COVAX partners and the guidance, based on technical assessment, of experts on the COVAX Independent Product Group
- negotiate Advance Purchase Commitments and volume guarantees with individual vaccine manufacturers and make investments in manufacturing capacity expansion, technology transfer and vaccine production in advance of licensure with individual vaccine manufacturers to increase the speed to production and availability of vaccines once approved;
- facilitate access to a pooled procurement mechanism (for example, the UNICEF Supply Division or Pan American Health Organization (PAHO Revolving Fund) for the COVAX AMC Group;
- monitor and ensure appropriate use of Approved Vaccines in accordance with terms and conditions of the Request Form;
• The AMC will fund the speed premium and procurement of doses of Approved Vaccines for the COVAX AMC Group, subject to the availability of: (i) an Approved Vaccine and (ii) sufficient funding.
• The global pandemic has already caused the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives and disrupted the lives of billions more. As well as reducing the tragic loss of life and helping to get the pandemic under control, introduction of a vaccine will prevent the loss of an estimated US$ 375 billion to the global economy every month. Global equitable access to a vaccine, particularly protecting health care workers and those most-at-risk is the only way to mitigate the public health and economic impact of the pandemic.
• The AMC is an innovative instrument capitalised through Official Development Assistance funding from donor countries, as well as through support from foundations, private donors and concessional funds from multilateral development banks.