Contribution to the Sinjar Action Fund (Nadia's Initiative)
The goal of the Sinjar Action Fund (SAF) is to promote the sustainable re-development of vital services and infrastructure including education, healthcare, livelihoods, and women’s empowerment in the Sinjar region of Iraq.
The SAF aims to achieve following results for 2020 and 2021, reaching 65,000 beneficiaries:
- rehabilitate Primary Health Care Centers (PHCs), improve maternity and prenatal care, construct and equip mobile medical units, and increase provision of psycho-social support to female survivors in the Region;
- design and development of Sinjar’s first University;
- construction, staffing, and operation of a Women’s Center in Sinjar, which will provide comprehensive services, including vocational training, small business management training, psycho-social support, maternal care, child care, and legal support;
- comprehensive WASH restoration project for six villages in Northern Sinjar that is set to benefit over 60,000 people in the Region;
- continued rehabilitation of farms throughout the region - including agricultural support in the form of provision of livestock, equipment, and irrigation rehabilitation and trainings in sustainable agricultural practices - as well as small business development related to improving farming outputs and tying outputs to local markets to increase income generation and food security.
Target group / Beneficiaries
With a contribution of EUR 300,000, SAF will be able to reach a total of 3,884 direct and 22,657 indirect beneficiaries, primarily Yazidi retournees to the Sinjar Region (including men, women and children). All activities will be implemented in the Sinjar Region of Northern Iraq. Nadia’s Initiative works with the local community and a variety of implementing partners on the ground in Sinjar. All Nadia’s Initiative programs are community-driven and survivor-centric, and work to promote long term peace-building.
- Rehabilitate, furnish, equip, and staff the following schools: Zorava High School, Al Hateen Primary School, and Al Taamim High School;
- Rehabilitate, furnish, equip, and staff the following Primary Health Center (PHC): Tel Qasab PHC.
On August 3rd, 2014, the so-called Islamic State (ISIS) began a genocidal campaign against the Yazidi ethno-religious minority that involved ethnic cleansing in the form of mass executions, forced conversions, and widespread sexual violence. These attacks resulted in the massacre of Yazidi men and older women, enslavement of more than 6,000 Yazidis (mostly women and girls), and displacement of over 350,000 Yazidis to Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps in Northern Iraq.
Many of the 110,000 Yazidis who have returned to their ancestral homelands are struggling to rebuild their lives. Their houses, farms, and shops have been looted and destroyed. The majority of these returnees have been without vital services, since the summer of 2014. The Sinjar Action Fund (SAF) is dedicated to advancing reconstruction efforts in Sinjar, Iraq.