Development Partners' Support to Ethiopia's 10 Years Prosperity Plan (Phase VI)
The project’s principal objective is to achieve optimal alignment on commonly identified priorities among members of the Development Partners’ Group (DPG) and between DPG members and the government’s national development plans (10-years and 3 years) by engaging in a structured and productive policy dialogue with the Government of Ethiopia (GoE).
Outcome1: Strategic multi-year priorities delivered on a DPG-wide basis (Facilitation of a structured, informed and evidence-based policy dialogue and creation of partnerships or coalitions to deliver on shared medium-term priorities).
Outcome 2: A more effective and efficient DPG structure established, aligned with strategic priorities (Streamlining and aligning the Sector Working Group [SWG] structure with the agreed common agenda of work with the GoE, close coordination with the Ministry of Finance (MoF) External Resources Mobilization Department and the various specific directorates, and updating and implementing a country-level action plan on aid-effectiveness).
Outcome3: A system for mutual accountability established between GoE and development partners (Improving mechanisms to collect and analyze data, measure and report on progress, assess achievements and shortfalls, and identify follow-up actions).
Target group / Beneficiaries
Personnel of the Ministry of Planning and Development (MPD) and the MoF, personnel and focal points of 10 line ministries, personnel of 11 regional and 2 city administrations, members of the DPG (505 persons as estimated Austrian share).
1. Multi-year programming by the DPG: a medium- to long-term vision and a medium-term DPG action plan updated on an annual basis, considering performance and new developments
2. SWGs aligned with the selected priorities to provide on-going technical support
3. Biannual High-Level Fora (HLFs) held
4. Bi-monthly DPG Head of Agency (HoA) meetings co-chaired by DPG and MoF for discussion of development issues and sharing of information and analysis
5. Monthly meetings held between the Ministers of MOF and MPD with DPG Co-chairs
6. The ToR of the Advisory Committee (previously ExCom) updated to reflect views expressed during the DPG reform process
7. SWGs restructured/streamlined/reorganised to ensure an optimal structure to deliver on the common agenda of work agreed with GoE
8. The SWGs report regularly on their work to the DPG HoA and institutionalize informal mid- and end-year reviews of their work
9. A framework for mutual accountability agreed to underpin partnership between the GoE and partners around their common agenda of priorities
10. Annual Progress Reviews and respective consultative meetings held as planned
11. Handover of the Aid Management Platform made by December 2023
Originally designed in 2001 to support the GoE’s implementation of the first Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP), the project is now in its sixth phase and partners have aligned their programming to support the current development plan, the Ten Years Development Plan “A Pathway to Prosperity”, which is also constructed around the internationally agreed Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).