Relief and empowerment for Syrian Refugees
The deepening crisis in Syria causes an influx of refugees to Armenia. By September 2013 approximately 9.000 Syrian refugees have been residing in Armenia. The situation for the majority of refugees has deteriorated over the last months as their assets are fully depleted and financial support for the refugees has been decreaseing. The approaching winter further further causes the refugees's situation to deteriorate so that they are currently facing the following problems:
• lack of sufficient food supplies;
• lack of affordable and appropriate shelter;
• difficulties to access urgently needed items for daily use (especially winter clothing, hygiene supplies and household items);
• difficulties to afford urgently needed medication;
• difficulties to access employment opportunities.
The objective of the project is to thus prepare vulnerable Syrian refugees to better cope with their challenging living conditions. The target group of the proposed project are 300 refugee families (appr. 900 persons) who will be supported through:
• Provision of urgently needed items for daily use including essential household items
and winter clothing;
• Provision of medication to persons with chronic diseases such as asthma, diabetes,
heart problems and;
• Assistance in generating their own income: the project aims to help people with
starting up their own business and business trainings.