Vienna Energy Forum 2018 - Special Session
Main purpose of the Vienna Energy Forum is to facilitate a multi-sectorial, multi-Stakeholder and interdisciplinary dialogue on sustainable energy for inclusive development and productive capacities. The biennial VEF has over time established itself as a leading Forum for policy makers, thought leaders and practitioners to address issues surrounding sustinable Energy for development. The VEF as a platform provides access to and exchange of information and knowledge on key energy issues to facilitate policy making, Investment decisions, and individual choices and behaviours.
In 2018, special session of the VEF will be organized to bring together leaders from government, business and civil society to discuss key issues and opportunities of energy in the development landscape and ways to move the global sustainable energy agenda forward. The Forum will also emphasize the crucial role and actions of the UN and multi- lateral financial institutions, partners and agencies in the field of sustainable energy, sustainable cities, nexus approach, innovation ecosystem and technology transfer, including mechanisms of private sector engagement. The discussions will be action oriented and relevant to economic and financial obstacles faced by many countries and regions, focused to promote sustainable energy for economic and industrial development. The recommendations are expected to translate into regional and country level energy strategies to be further deliberated at the HLPF in New York.
- Bring together around 400 high-level experts from around the world
- Move the global sustainable energy agenda forward
- Deliver high quality, focused and strategic recommendations and concrete suggestions to the HLPF 2018
- The recommendations are expected to translate into regional and country level energy strategies to be further deliberated at the HLPF
Target group / Beneficiaries
Building on the experience and achievements of the VEF in the previous years, the special session of the Vienna Energy Forum (VEF) is expected to bring together around 400 participants from around the world including ministers, high-level dignitaries, policymakers, experts and representatives from the local governments, private sector and civil society. Participants will benefit from the forum by gaining topical information on issues and opportunities concerning sustainable energy. To reach the target beneficiaries worldwide invitations will be sent using the VEF contact database as well as international networks (e.g. UNIDO, ADA, IIASA, SEforALL, etc.).
In addition, through a comprehensive communications and advocacy strategy, including a robust social media strategy, the proceedings and the outcomes of the VEF are expected to reach larger audience both in Austria and internationally (around 500 total beneficiaries). A well-designed communications strategy is expected to raise awareness and visibility of the sustainable energy issues to be highlighted at the VEF, contributing to the overall global agenda to promote energy in the context of SDGs, and will be beneficial in advancing the role and profile of UNIDO and the VEF within the international development community.
- In cooperation with UN-DESA provide a platform for high-level discussions on the implementation of SDG 7, focusing on the future of energy systems and their promise, climate and clean energy technologies and innovation, as well as on delivering prosperity through technology and policy partnerships.
- In cooperation with R20, provide a platform to discuss current energy-related challenges with world-renowned experts, high level policymakers and representatives of the private and public sector as well as civil society, with specific focus on action on sub-national level.
- Initiates and advances regional and international cooperation in dedicated result-oriented working sessions.