Peacebuilding and Conflict Prevention
Security is essential for sustainable development. Countries shaped by violence, conflicts and uncertain political conditions often also experience a downward spiral into poverty. Safeguarding peace and human security is therefore a prime aim of the Austrian Development Agency (ADA), the operational unit of Austrian Development Cooperation. As part of the 2030 Agenda, Sustainable Development Goal 16 confirms the global aim of creating peace, justice and strong institutions.
ADA is committed to contributing to peacebuilding and conflict prevention in different ways:
- It supports concrete projects of civil society and international organisations devoted to peacebuilding, conflict prevention and conflict transformation.
- It assists fragile states in establishing constitutional and democratic structures.
- It is dedicated to protecting women in conflict situations and including them in peace processes.
- When planning activities in conflictive countries, it takes care to avoid an escalation of conflict and to strengthen peacebuilding impacts (do-no-harm principle).
- It takes a whole-of-government approach to pursue development goals.
Working closely with international organisations such as the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), United Nations, European Union, Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), international donor community as well as with inter-ministerial working groups ensures that ADA can successfully coordinate and implement national and international agreements.