Contribution to Ban Advocates 2010
The "Ban Advocates" form a unique group of individuals affected by cluster munitions who have been working together to free the world from cluster munitions.
The overall goal of the Ban Advocates Initiative thus is to promote the "Convention of Cluster Munitions" by involving and empowering people from affected communities as advocates. (The Convention was enacted in December 2008 and by November 2009, 103 countries had signed and 24 had ratified the Convention).
The objectives of the Ban Advocates Initiative include:
- to ensure and sustain the participation of the Ban Advocates in international events and conferences promoting the signature, ratification and implementation of the Convention on Cluster Munitions;
- to continue to develop Ban Advocates' skills, in particular language and advocacy skills;
- to support interested Ban Advocates in their data collection efforts;
- to sustain the participation of women and young people in the Ban Advocates initiative;
- to provide a support network for individuals from affected communities to share experiences and knowledge;
- to collect and disseminate information strategically on the global human impact of cluster munitions.