IMPULSE Agriculture et Artisanat
The overall target is contributing to the integration of women into the economy by promoting micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSME) in the promising sectors of agriculture and handicrafts in rural areas. The project specifically aims to:
(i) strengthen the technical capacities of MSME in the agricultural and handicraft sectors;
(ii) improve access to finance for MSME in the agricultural and handicraft sectors and strengthen their productive capacities;
(iii) improve market access for MSME in the agricultural and handicraft sectors.
The following results are expected:
- The MSME are equipped with modern production and processing techniques;
- The training and advise in the agricultural and handicraft sectors in the project's target areas has been strengthened and the level of education of MSME staff has improved;
- The business conditions for women entrepreneurs have improved.
- AFP-PME financing is accessible to MSME and offers of financing in the project's target area are available;
- Support and advisory services for rural MSME are available;
- The productive capacities of MSME are strengthened;
- Storage and trading infrastructure is available;
- Product quality has improved;
- MSME are supported for their formalization and for the sale of their products.
The regions covered by the project are Boucle du Mouhoun, Hauts Bassins, Nord, and Centre-Nord.
Priority is given to women working in the agro-sylvo-pastoral and handicraft sectors.
The project will benefit 3.000 direct beneficiaries, at least 70% of whom will be women.
The main mission of AFP-PME is to contribute to the development of the private sector by the promotion of an entrepreneurial dynamic and the emergence of a fabric of viable and competitive small and medium-sized Enterprises (SME) in Burkina Faso.
The overall objective of AFP-PME is to ensure the competitive modernization of viable and job-creating Burkinabè SMEs at the local, regional and international levels through upgrading programs and specific ongoing support.
The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Handicrafts (MCIA) will provide the technical supervision of the project. The MCIA Regional Directorates will designate focal points who will ensure the regional coordination of the project activities.
To achieve its objectives, the project sets the following activities:
- train MSME in five regions in entrepreneurship and agriculture or handicrafts and develop a pool of trainers per region;
- translate the training modules into three local languages (Mooré, Dioula and Fulfuldé);
- finance investment and working capital of MSME in the agricultural and handicraft sectors and mobilize funding;
- support the modernization of commercial infrastructures (storage, packaging, traffic, development, etc.) for the benefit of MSME;
- improve the quality, the presentation, and marketing of the products of MSME;
- support the formalization of 150 MSME; and
- organize experience-sharing missions for the benefit of women-led MSME.
A dynamic and innovative private sector that creates added value and decent jobs, particularly for young people and women, is the key to significantly reducing poverty and inequality in Burkina Faso. The development of this type of sector can only be achieved through a comprehensive strategy aimed at the structural transformation of the economy. In other words, it is necessary to ensure that the most productive and labor-intensive sectors will henceforth be the engines of economic growth.
The National Economic and Social Development Plan (PNDES) has the overall objective of structurally transforming the Burkinabe economy to achieve strong, sustainable, resilient, inclusive growth that creates decent jobs for all and leads to improved social welfare. To this end, its third axis, entitled "Boosting growth sectors for the economy and jobs", aims to promote sectors with high potential for wealth creation, led by women and young people.