PALCEE III - Programm zur Förderung von Energieeffizienz in Zentralamerika und der Karibik (Phase III)
The objective of this intervention is the reinforcement of initiatives and structures in energy efficiency in the two beneficiary countries Panama and Dominican Republic. The initiatives will be shared among other regional countries in order to eliminate the duplication of efforts, reduce the use of resources, and finally, promote a collaboration culture between countries in the region.
The programme is composed of three main activity areas:
- Establishment of energy efficiency financing mechanisms in the target countries and of a regional guideline.
- Reinforcement of the Energy Management System for the public sector in Panama, and the development of such a system in Dominican Republic.
- Development of roadmaps to implement a monitoring, reporting, and validation (MRV) system for energy audits in public and commercial buildings, based on OLADE´s methodology developed during the second phase of the PALCEE Program.
Target Group: Private finance sector, energy and environmental state agencies, and energy managers of the public sector in both beneficiary countries.
Indirectly, members of the state energy agencies in OLADE´s 27-member countries, as a result of the development of training programs and the publication of a regional guideline to establish energy efficiency finance mechanisms.
Local Project Partners:
State Energy Agencies of the benefit countries (local counterparts of the project).
Industry and hotels local associations (as potential beneficiaries of the financial mechanisms, they become important stakeholders).
Finance entities both, local and regional.
State Environmental Agencies in both beneficiary countries.
In total 110 direct and 200 indirect beneficiaries within these institutions.
- Analyses of energy efficiency finance schemes and of environmental regulations (focus on replacement of inefficient equipment)
- Development, presentation and implementation of a proposal for a mechanism of scrap management and disposal for Panama, which can be adapted to the energy efficiency finance mechanism currently in force in the country.
- Development of, publication of and (virtual) trainings on a methodology for mechanisms of financing of energy efficiency initiatives, including access to international sources of finance.
- Analysis, evaluation, development, and presentation of improvements on energy managers in the public sector in the two target countries.
- Analysis, evaluation, and development of updated energy audits in the building sector.
The energy sector globally has big challenges in front, referred to an increasing energy demand, climate change impact of fossil fuels usage for electricity generation, and resources scarcity.
As a result, and considering that energy efficiency appears as one of the most economic and available resources to achieve the sustainability of the energy sector, the Latin American Energy Organization (OLADE), with funding from the Austrian Development Agency (ADA), has designed “The Latin American and the Caribbean Energy Efficiency Program – PALCEE”, which has the objective of guiding the deployment of energy efficiency in OLADE’s members countries through the strengthening of the energy efficiency institutional framework, capacity building at both levels, technical and governance; and finally with the reinforcement of energy efficiency initiatives already in force. The implementation of all activities is seen as the appropriate means to reach energy efficiency sustainability in the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
The PALCEE Program has finished the execution of the second phase in Belize and Guyana, where the basis for developing energy efficiency programs, plans and policies has been established.
The implementation of the two phases of the Program has managed to improve the conditions in the beneficiary countries, in terms of strengthening and advancing of energy efficiency. And, having in mind the successful experiences of the two previous phases of the Program, OLADE has prepared a proposal to develop a third phase of the PALCEE with Dominican Republic and Panama as beneficiary countries.