PCREEE - Second Operational Phase (2021-2025)
Improved access to modern, affordable and reliable energy services, energy security and mitigation of negative externalities of the energy system by promoting renewable energy and energy efficiency (RE&EE) investments, markets and industries in Pacific Island Countries and Territories (PICTs).
Successful implementation of the Pacific Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (PCREEE) Business Plan 2020-2030, through:
1. Provision of differentiated support to entrepreneurial RE&EE businesses across the enterprise development life cycle (start-up, early-stage, growth, and maturity).
2. Implementation of a comprehensive e-mobility readiness programme that best prepares PICTs for their respective sustainable mobility futures.
3. Increased clean energy access and improved livelihoods for communities through technically sound mini-grid systems.
4. Enhanced competitiveness of manufacturing and service industries in the Pacific Region and reduced Greenhouse Gas emissions.
The target group comprises regional and national stakeholders in the sustainable energy sector, covering public and private sector actors, civil society organisations, academia and the general population of the PICTs (as indirect beneficiaries). PCREEE serves as Energy Hub for all 22 member states of the pacific community with a total population of over 12 million people. With ADA’s contribution of about 7,7% to PCREEE’s total budget between 2021 and 2025, it can be expected to reach 930,000 beneficiaries
The second operational phase is centered around the implementation of PCREEE's Business Plan 2020 - 2030 (long-term planning and implementation framework), which is specified and actioned through annual work plans (short-term planning and implementation framework on activity level). The Business Plan is implemented through four main Strategic Programmes:
1. RE&EE Business Start-up and Entrepreneurship Support,
2. RE&EE for Sustainable Mobility,
3. RE Mini-Grids, and
4. Energy Efficiency Investment.
The Pacific Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency was established to play a key role in promoting and supporting private sector investments in renewable energies and energy efficiency in the Pacific region. The PCREEE is hosted by the Pacific Community (SPC) under the Geoscience Energy and Maritime (GEM) Division. During the first operational phase the Centre received key technical support from the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) and financial assistance from the Austrian Development Agency and the Norwegian government. PCREEE is a member of the Global Network of Regional Sustainable Energy Centres (GN-SEC) and focuses on the up-scaling and replication of national efforts, support to the private sector and Industry, and the implementation of targeted RE&EE programmes for the benefit of the Pacific region and its people.