Programme d'appui à l'artisanat au Burkina Faso (PAA-BF)
The project aims at reducing the poverty of crafts people in Burkina Faso by increasing their revenue through support to their small businesses. It consolidates the achievements of previous Austrian funded projects. It is implemented by the Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Craft in six regions: Boucle du Mouhoun, Centre Ouest, Centre Nord, Hauts Bassins, Nord and Sahel.
The expected results are:
• Improved management and empowerment of professional craft organisations in the chosen industries,
• Improved access to financing mechanisms for c. 2000 crafts people,
• Improved market access for the sale of craft products,
• Strengthened technical, operational and innovation capacities of the small crafts businesses,
• Strengthened human and technical capacities of the Ministry in charge of crafts development,
• Contribution to reducing inequalities between men and women through gender mainstreaming.
Around 2000 women and men in the textile, agri-food and leather chains will be beneficiaries.
To ensure long-term sustainability, the project both promotes the synergy between the various stakeholders and structures supporting the private sector and technical capacity development of the Ministry.
The main partners are the professional craft organisations in the six project regions, the regional directorates of the Ministry, the Chamber of Craft Trades and other support structures to the private sector.
• Supporting the small crafts businesses to increase productivity and their access to financing and markets,
• Technical trainings and information / sensitisation for crafts people and their professional organisations,
• Technical and financial assistance to the production of vulnerable groups to reduce their vulnerability,
• Training for Ministry staff and provision of equipment to increase the Ministry’s operational capacities.