Review of water sector related initiatives in rural areas of Moldova
The purpose of this review is to ensure learning from rural water sector initiatives supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation in Moldova during the past years.
The main objective of the review is to assess the results of selected rural water sector projects and to share findings and lessons learnt including good practices with key stakeholders, with the aim to contribute to further development of institutional capacities in the water and sanitation sector.
The expected outputs of the review are:
- The impact of selected water sector related initiatives in rural areas of Moldova has been appraised in a participatory manner involving the main stakeholders.
- A comparative study of the technical standards applied to infrastructure works in selected water and sanitation projects has been conducted with the aim to feed back the results into ongoing debates at policy Level in the water sector.
- The findings of the review have been shared with main stakeholders in the water sector
The main stakeholders of the review are:
- Central level authorities in charge of strategies or policies in the water sector (e.g. the Ministry of Agriculture, Regional Development and Environment, the Agency “Apele Moldovei” etc.)
- Local level authorities incl. rural water utilities, in particular the JSC Apa Canal Nisporeni, or Water User Associations delivering rural water and sanitation ser-vices to the population
- Various other actors active in the sector, such as donors, NGOs/civil society organisations etc.
The main activities foreseen as part of the review are:
- Desk review of existing documentation of selected water sector initiatives
- Data collection through different methods which may include but are not limited to: analysis of documents, structured interviews, semi-structured interviews face-to face or by phone, group discussions, etc.
- A field visit / study to selected project areas
- A presentation of the review findings in Moldova
- Preparation of a review report including a comparative study
In its Country Strategy for Moldova for the period 2016–2020 the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC) defines “Water, environment and climate change” as one of three thematic priorities for development cooperation with the partner country. Over the past years, the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) as the operational arm of the ADC has been supporting a number of projects in the field of rural water supply and sanitation. Several ADA (co-)financed projects have been completed recently or are to be completed in the near future. The present review shall serve to capture the impact from these projects and to share findings and lessons learnt with key stakeholders in Moldova.