Second UN Conference on Land-Locked Developing Countries
The 2d UN Conference on Landlocked Developing Countries (LLDCs). 3-5 November 2014 in Vienna, will bring together 1.000-1.500 participants from 32 LLDCs, transit developing countries, donor countries, UN, other int’l orgs. & the private sector. Half of LLDCs (16) are also LDCs; the same number are located in Africa. Conference objectives:
1. Critical assessment of the implementation of the Almaty Programme of Action (APoA), and a new common action-oriented strategic framework for supporting LLDCs over the next decade in: harnessing international trade; boosting the private sector; regional and south-south cooperation; bridging infrastructure gaps; strengthening the legal framework on transport/transit; addressing emerging issues; building productive capacity; reducing economic and social disparities
2. Reaffirmed global commitment to addressing the special needs of the landlocked developing countries
3. Additional international support measures in favour of the landlocked developing countries to enable them to fully participate in the global trade
4. A more efficient monitoring and evaluation mechanism for the implementation of the new programme of action.
1) A shared understanding of the development gaps and emerging critical issues,
2) strategies and priorities of LLDCs for addressing those challenges identified,
3) a programme adopted which adequately addresses these challenges.
ADA’s contribution enables the attendance of 230-250 participants from LLDC countries by supporting their travel expenses.