The Green Pack, Awareness on Sustainable Development for Schools in Macedonia
The Green Pack is a multi-medium environmental education curriculum kit primarily intended for European primary school teachers and their students, although it can also be used at other levels of education. It focuses on particular aspects of environmental protection and sustainable development and includes a variety of educational materials such as a teacher¿s handbook with lesson plans and fact sheets for students, a video-cassette with animated clips and educational films, an interactive CD-ROM with extensive information on various environmental topics and a dilemma game. The Green Pack emphasises the formation of new values in students and the setting of a new model of behaviour at school, at home and in society rather than simply the accumulation of knowledge in particular environmental areas (activities, discussions, role-plays, decision making).
The pack will be available at no cost to schools for approx. 25,000 pupils annually and provide training for more than 330 teachers.
Its goal is to improve the environmental education base in Macedonia by:
* Developing a modern model of environmental education for the national education system;
* Raising the environmental awareness of pupils and teachers, and via them that of society as a whole; and
* Investing in human resources and capacity-building in terms of education and public awareness on the environment (training).
The programme will involve the following main activities (key objectives):
* Prepare a multi-media educational resource pack for use in schools (Green Pack) in Macedonian and Albanian languages;
* Host launch events for the educational pack;
* Organise training of teachers/educators, and the distribution of the resource pack to schools with assistance from national and local governments;
* Collect indicators of success e.g., number of schools using the Green Pack, teachers/children educated; and
* Learning from the experience of other countries with modernized education systems and approaches.