EUEI PDF - Africa-EU RECP - Action Area 4: Innovation & Skills Development
The overall objective of activities is to improve skills development and innovation capacities in Africa, in order to achieve acceleration in the use of renewable energy on the continent.
- Project partners will be able to improve their training and research systems qualitatively and, in addition, increase their uptake of trainees and students.
- The number of alumni trained in renewable energy technologies and their application as well as research and innovation on renewable energy will increase.
- Employment prospects for young individuals will increase.
- The private sector in partner countries will find it easier to recruit qualified individuals.
- An acceleration of the deployment of renewable energy technologies on the African continent.
- At least 25% of all participants/trainees/students/contributors to studies research papers will be women.
Target group / Beneficiaries
180 (ADA supports 30) participants have benefited from RECP supported TVET activities; 60 (ADA supports 10) students have benefited from RECP supported higher education porgrammes; 20 cases of Africa-Africa or Africa-EU research collaboration are documendet. Gender equality is promoted and therefore at least 25% of all participants/trainees/students/contributors to studies research papers will be women.
1. Support to Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET): Implementation of the regional certification scheme at a national level at a training institution in one of the ECOWAS countries; Development of teaching material on VET level in Uganda which focuses on practically-oriented capacity needs in the solar sector and make the material available throughout the region, possibly also in cooperation with EACREEE.
2. Support to higher education: Re-established Renewable Energy Master's Programm at the University of Zimbabwe; Establishment of a Renewable Energy Master's Programm at the University of Lesotho.
3. Support to research cooperation and business innovation: Continuation of the Young Scientists and Entrepreneurs Programme; Organiszation of the Second Africa-EU Renewable Energy Research and Innovation Symposium.
The EU Energy Initiative Partnership Dialogue Facility (EUEI PDF) is a multi-donor facility that contributes to the achievement of the SDGs, in particular on energy. EUEI PDF promotes sustainable energy for equitable development in Africa, Latin America and Asia and is hosted by GIZ. One of the four strategic service lines is the Africa-EU Renewable Energy Cooperation Programme (RECP). RECP’s Action Area on Innovation & Skills Development was initiated and financed by the governments of Austria and Finland in 2013. Funding was provided until 2015.