META Evaluierung - ADA Projekt und Programm Evaluierungen 2016-2018
The overall goal of the evaluation is to identify ways to improve the quality of (internal and external) project and programme evaluations. It should develop recommendations on what aspects to improve and how to increase the quality and usefulness of project and programme evaluations at ADA. These should include next steps to improve the project and programme evaluation tool (evaluation design and implementation). Ultimately the meta-evaluation should contribute to making project and programme evaluations more effective in increasing ADA’s performance.
As a first step it aims to better understand the causal pathways of project and programme evaluations in ADA and what is actually expected and assumed. It aims to assess the quality and usefulness of project and programme evaluations at ADA and to provide an overall assessment of their strengths and weaknesses. It also aims to identify enabling and hindering factors for evaluation quality and use..
The evaluation team is expected to deliver the following products:
• draft and final quality assessment protocol, in cooperation with ADA Evaluation Unit
• draft and final inception report, including final quality assessment protocol, sampling plan and survey questionnaire
• presentation of preliminary findings (for virtual meeting)
• individual quality assessments for each evaluation
• draft and final evaluation Report
The expected results of this meta-evaluation are :
- Quality assessment of PP evaluations
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses of PP evaluations
- Suggestions for improvement of quality and usefulness of PP evaluations as well as the evaluation system
Target group / Beneficiaries
The direct beneficiaries of the evaluation are
- the Executive Unit Evaluation and Statistics (total of 6 people)
- ADA Senior Management (total of 3 people)
for strategic decision making regarding project and programme evaluations, as well as
- ADA PP staff at Headquarters (total of 39 people)
- KOBÜ Managers (total of 12 people) and local programm managers and advisors (around 20 people)
for discussion and follow up to the evaluation.
The meta-evaluation will be desk-based with no foreseen travel (apart from an initial kick off Workshop and presentation). The main data collection methods that are going to be applied are: document Review, the assessment of evaluation quality which will be conducted based on a sample of evaluation Reports, Survey and interviews
The meta-evaluation at hand is ADA’s first meta-Evaluation.